Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Witnessed A Counterfeit CCW Class Today

If you read this blog with any familiarity, you already know that one of my biggest pet-peeves about the firearm training services business is counterfeit/rogue Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL) classes.

Well, believe it or not, I actually saw one in operation today. Today, for me, was not unlike any other weekend day. I usually "camp out" in a local coffee house and work over the public Internet to publicize my CCW/CPL Classes.

At one point of the day, I refreshened my cup of coffee and headed to the back of the cafe to add sugar and creamer. I then "overheard" a gentleman, seated at a table with four women, giving advice on how to be safe. Of course, my ears perked up and I thought to myself, "No way!"

Yep! You guessed it! This guy was teaching a "Basic Pistol" class in hushed tones at a back table. The advice he was doling out was of the common variety; it failed to pass the muster when compared the tips and strategies given out in a bona personal protection (i.e. Personal Protection in the Home) class.

Okay. So now I glance at the clock in the lower left-hand window of my laptop. After the "class" concluded, I was then able to verify that this session lasted for about an hour. What a gip!

For the record, there are no restrictions on where a NRA class can be taught; coffee houses are fair game. However, there are certain rules about the class length and subject matter that must be adhered to if this class is to meet both the NRA's and the state of Michigan's guidelines.

As this "instructor" and his students headed for the door, I came up to him introduced myself. Of course, I provided him a business card and he reciprocated. I asked if he was teaching "Personal Protection in the Home" and he confirmed that he was teaching "Basic Pistol." He then had to gall to share with me that he didn't want to pay a lawyer to do the class with him.

He also claimed to be an instructor, certified by the NRA. I'll follow up on that personally.

I wonder how in the world do people find these guys? His students don't have a clue about the law and will packing heat on the streets very soon. The streets have suddenly became more dangerous. At one end of the "outcome spectrum" these students are risking prison sentences and civil liability lawsuits. At the other end, they are going to get hurt because they don't have a clue.

These ladies didn't even get to shoot a gun.

Oh well, all I can do is teach and educate. Hopefully, someone will hear me.

No comments: